Ballpark In Review: Angel Stadium

Angel Stadium Anaheim, CA | The "Big A" & Home of the Angels
Angel Stadium, credit to MLB.com

 

Ballpark In Review: Angel Stadium

Written by Drew Sauer

    In the next installment of this series where I review ballparks across America, I will be talking about Angel Stadium which is located in Anaheim, California. This ballpark was my local stadium for all my life up until recently and I have been here more time than I can count. This stadium was built in 1966 and can seat over 45,000 fans. Originally this stadium was built to host a football and a baseball team which is why the field may look a bit funky compared to other modern-day stadiums. Although I have been to this stadium more than others, it ranks at the bottom of my list of stadiums I have visited, but there is still plenty to love about this stadium.

    The first thing to talk about this stadium is the location of it. The first thing to be talked about is that the stadium is surrounded by a massive parking lot and a freeway is nearby. Depending on how you view this, this can be a good or a bad thing. In my previous review, I raved about everything you can do around Petco Park and unfortunately, there is none of that in this ballpark. On the flip side, this stadium is very easy and accessible to get to due to the large parking lot and the nearby freeway. If you were to take the train to the park, the train station is about a 15-20 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. Nearby this stadium is Disneyland so this stadium could be a destination for people who are traveling to Disneyland.

    Inside the stadium, you will find that the overall atmosphere is very laid back which makes it perfect for anyone who is going to the first game. The Angel fans are not too rowdy and the only time it will really get loud is when an Angel hits a home run or if the game is getting near the end which is typical for a baseball stadium. You will find that the fans do leave a few innings early which does make leaving the stadium a little easier. One downside that I have found with this stadium is there are certain seats that are not too ideal because the seat is not directly facing the game. As previously mentioned, this stadium was built for football and baseball which is why they are like this but it does need some renovation. These seats I am talking about are the seats that are anywhere down the first baseline or third baseline in the outfield. I have sat here before and unfortunately, I had to crank my neck to look at the game. If I were to recommend some seats, sit behind home plate, even if it's at the top of the stadium, or anywhere in the outfield.

    The next thing to talk about is the food here which is not too impressive. When you think of your typical ballpark food you think of hot dogs, burgers, and nachos which seems to be the main thing here. I find that when a park has something food unique to the stadium, it adds to the overall experience. My favorite item they have are the helmet nachos which most parks do have, but I find these to be pretty good nachos. These nachos are loaded with cheese, guacamole, jalapenos, beans, chicken, and sour cream. The best part about it is that you get a plastic baseball helmet which you can take home. At the price point of $21, it is worth it when you think about how expensive stadium food usually is. 

    Overall, Angel Stadium is a great place to watch a game. Sometimes it may seem that I am a bit harsh but that is because I have been to other stadiums which are better than this one. Angel Stadium is the perfect place for someone's first game because it is such a mellow environment and it is so easy to get to. For the ballpark connoisseur like me, it is enjoyable but there are definitely better places to watch a game. If you are going to a game here in the near future, I would recommend going on a weekend when it is the busiest, get some affordable seats, grab some helmet nachos, and enjoy the game!

    

Comments

  1. Hi,
    I've never been to any baseball stadium if I'm going to be honest. Its cool that the place has history with football too. That part answered my question about why the park looked different from other parks as I was reading it. If the helmet nachos are $21 at this specific place, what are the prices at other places and how big are those portions? Nonetheless this was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew! I read your last blog so I was really interested to see what ballpark you will blog about next. I personally have never been to the Angel Stadium however the way that you describe it makes me wanna take a look for myself. I agree baseball food is definitely expensive but if you can get a souvenir out of it, it makes it worth it. Overall your blog was very interesting to read and gave me insight into the Angel Stadium and what it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ballpark In Review: Petco Park

Ballpark In Review: Yankee Stadium