Ballpark In Review: Petco Park

  

Ballpark In Review: Petco Park 

Written by Drew Sauer

    To start off this series of blogs, I wanted to start with my new local stadium, Petco Park. My name is Drew Sauer and I just moved to San Diego, California for college which makes Petco Park the closest one to me. As a baseball lover, I am extremely lucky that I have one of, if not the best, stadiums right down the freeway from me. I have now been to a total of five baseball stadiums and Petco Park might be my favorite to go to for a couple different reasons which I will dive into.

    First off, I need to talk about the location of the stadium because it might be my favorite. I do love Oracle Park for being steps away from the San Francisco Bay, however, Petco Park is in the heart of the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego which is why I love it so much. When I first moved down here, I took the trolley all the way to the stop that is a couple blocks away. From that trolley station, my friends and I walked around the area which was filled with a lively bar and restaurant scene. Let me add to the fact that this all took place at 5:00 p.m. on a Thursday. After the game, those restaurants came back to life even though it was 10:00 p.m. on a weekday after the Padres lost. I think that Petco Park has the most to do outside of the stadium because it is in such a perfect spot. I have been to stadiums that are surrounded by subway stations and freeways, but none of them are in a location like Petco Park.

    Once you are in the stadium, it is nothing short of amazing. I think Petco Park is one of the most beautiful stadiums because it has a historic brick building in left field and the San Diego skyline behind centerfield. Behind that centerfield wall, there is a grass field where people lay blankets and watch the game on the big screen. One thing that stood out to me is how nice the walkways are within the stadium. The concourse is filled with tile and greenery and food vendors on both sides. The food at Petco Park is excellent when you compare it to others. They have the basics such as burgers and hotdogs, but they also have a great selection of Mexican and barbeque food. Last season, I got my hands on the brisket nachos which I loved as a nacho connoisseur. These nachos were topped with spicy nacho cheese which balanced the sweet and tangy barbeque sauce and loaded with smoky brisket. 

    In case you could not tell by now, I love Petco Park. If someone has never been to a baseball game, I would recommend them to go to a Padres game here. This stadium is the type of stadium where you do not need to watch the game because there is so much to do. With great selections of food to try and things to do in and around the park, I think it is perfect for someone who does not watch baseball. Petco Park is an amazing ballpark and should be near the top of everyone's list of stadiums to visit and I highly recommend going.

Comments

  1. Hey Drew!
    Thanks for sharing! I personally love a good ball game at Petco Park. I really liked how you not only talked about the physical looks of the stadium but the surrounding areas and of corse the delicious food! I love the brisket nachos, they're so good, the picture you included made me hungry! I feel like you really captured the essence of Petco Park and am looking forward to what stadium you review next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Drew, I just moved to San Diego also, and Petco Park stadium had to be one of the reasons why I chose to move. I have yet been able to catch a game but the way you reviewed the food and atmosphere has me more than excited to attend. I like the raw honesty of your blog, I can tell you are very passionate. A food review is an amazing idea you can keep using. As a nacho enthusiast, my mouth was watered in the image. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews on the other stadiums you have attended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Drew!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog! I have been to several ball games at Petco Park with my dad and it never seems to disappoint. Your use of diction and descriptive words added a very nice touch to your overall blog. I think it really captures the beauty of Petco Park overall and the things that it offers. The picture of the ball park nachos was even more intriguing, making me want to go to another baseball game at Petco Park. Overall your review of this amazing ball park was very well put and I can't wait to read your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Drew!
    I just went recently to go watch the Giants and Padres play, unfortunately the Giants lost, since I'm a Giants fan. However the field was amazing as you stated. In your blog you definitely capture what the stadium feels like and how the atmosphere is cultivated throughout downtown especially after the game with how lively it was. My girlfriend and I actually shared those exact nachos while we watched the game and they're our go to snack for the game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ballpark In Review: Yankee Stadium

Ballpark in Review: Oracle Park