Ballpark In Review: Yankee Stadium

 

Yankee Stadium, via Drew Sauer
Written by Drew Sauer

The classy song "Theme From New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra fills the stadium as you head out into the New York night. Every time I think about my wonderful trip to New York City, this song starts to play in my head as it perfectly captures the mood of New York. The classic song fits the theme of Yankee Stadium perfectly. The stadium was built in 2009, Yankee Stadium is modeled very closely to the original which was built in 1923. Found in the Bronx in New York, this iconic stadium was an amazing ballpark to visit.

When looking at the stadium, some architectural features were kept close to the original. At the top of the stadium is the iconic white lining that was the original stadium. The outfield dimensions and the overall shape of the field and stadium were kept the same as well. The new Yankee stadium is a modern version of the historic original. On the first base side of the stadium was a large museum that was filled with memorabilia from this famed franchise. When I visited the museum I was shocked to see what they had in there. They had signed baseballs from every iconic player and they had jerseys and bats that were part of baseball's most famous moments. My favorite thing that I saw was the jersey that Babe Ruth wore when he famously called his shot. When I was younger, my great-grandfather would tell me stories from when he was a kid in the 1930s growing up in New York. Although it was hard to hear him when I was a kid, I remember he would tell me stories of how he and his brothers would get on the subway after school and go to Yankee games. Seeing memorabilia from those stories that he told me was a really special moment to see those items.

In regards to the food, I thought Yankee Stadium food was top-tier. Most of the food items here are classic American items such as sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs, but they are taken up a level. When I went I got a chicken and waffle sandwich that was served with hot honey. I usually get chicken and waffle sandwiches with syrup but the hot honey was a nice twist to the sandwich that I really enjoyed. I thought it was very interesting how they had some classic New York City food carts in the stadium. It felt like it embraced the culture of the city because I had just seen those food carts hours previously in Times Square. The last detail about the food was the exclusives that they had. This year they added the 99 burger which is available to the first 99 people. It is a burger with some upgraded ingredients such as wagyu and it was created to commemorate Aaron Judge who wears number 99 and won Most Valuable Player last season.

Yankee Stadium is a classic and iconic stadium that everyone needs to visit. Even outside of all the history that will draw in baseball fans such as myself, the stadium fits into the New York theme and it is a perfect way to spend a night in the city. The way that I view this stadium is a modern classic. They kept all the classic features but gave the stadium much-needed upgrades. I think this stadium is a perfect combination of history and modernism and every baseball fan needs to visit.


Comments

  1. Hi Drew, I enjoyed reading your description of the experience at Yankee Stadium. It's evident that the stadium successfully maintains its rich history while embracing modern upgrades. I also liked how you connected it to your great-grandfather's stories and the nostalgia it brings is heartwarming. The memorabilia in the museum, the iconic architectural elements, and the unique food offerings sounds like its a must-visit destination for baseball fans and those in New York City. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew, as someone from upstate NY (Buffalo) and a HUGE yankee's fan I really enjoyed your piece this week. I have only been to the city once in 2019 (after I moved to California) and really loved my experience, I did not however go to the stadium, something after reading this is very high on the list of things ill do next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Drew, I've always wanted to visit Yankee Stadium, it is a classic baseball stadium with so much memorabilia. I like how you had a personal connection to it and mentioned what it meant to you and your family. I also liked how you incorporated facts, and opinions about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Drew! I've never been to Yankee Stadium, but it's definitely on my bucket list. My dad grew up in Connecticut and he's a huge Yankees fan, as am I (even though they've sucked for awhile haha). I can imagine how cool the atmosphere is walking in there as "New York" by Frank Sinatra plays. It's also awesome they've tried to keep some of the features from the older stadium as they remodeled it. I've heard about the 99 burger and it sounds so yummy I need to try it! Who is your favorite player? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Drew, I thought choosing to close your blog posts with the Yankee stadium was a very nice touch. As you said the Yankee Stadium is a classic and although I have never visited the stadium it is definitely on my bucket list. Throughout all your blogs I really enjoyed reading your experiencing and thought on your experience especially since I haven't been to most of them. It gave me some reference as to which ones I should visit and which ones I should rethink. Great way to end your blog thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ballpark in Review: Oracle Park

Ballpark In Review: Petco Park